What it is
Canvas is one of the learning management systems (LMSs) currently used by UW-Madison. The university plans to adopt Canvas as the single, centrally supported LMS and to discontinue campus support for D2L and Moodle by 2018. Canvas allows instructors to flexibly deliver course content, course communications, student assessments (quizzes, assignments, surveys, portfolios) and grades.
Some key features of Canvas include:
- Standard LMS functionality, such as grading, quizzing, calendaring, discussions, and more
- Integration with many other teaching and learning tools
- Mobile apps for iOS and Android, for both students and instructors
- Frequent feature and tool updates
- Integration with the university's student information system (SIS)
Canvas courses are accessible from the Learn@UW Course Dashboard just like D2L and Moodle courses. Faculty and instructional staff will see all of the courses they are teaching in Canvas upon login. Course rosters will be automatically populated for each course. Students will only see the courses that are being used by their instructors.
For information on getting started with Canvas, see the UW-Madison Canvas KnowledgeBase.
Information about the transition to Canvas at UW-Madison, including the latest news and training opportunities, is available at canvasinfo.wisc.edu.